Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Great News - Update 2/24/2010

Great news, I had my baseline MRI on Monday and the doctor's assistant just called to tell me that the scan looked good, meaning the tumor is gone from the base of my tongue. Suddenly, all the pain I went through is a mere memory!

I am bursting with energy from that phone call. The feeling is so much better than the others where the doctors ask you to come in for an appointment so they can tell you they found a tumor, getting the clearance by phone is just fine.

Overall, I am very much on the mend. I have lost a total of 47 pounds since the start of treatment and weigh in at a skinny 166. I plan on leveling off at a weight under 190, which will help me overall (and kick start the economy with the cost to alter all my suits and pants.)

I am still having pain on the side of my tongue and back of my throat that result in eating issues, because the sores have not fully healed, but it seems that as each day (literally) goes by the pain is less and I can eat more. I had a massage last week and it released some of the chemo that must have been stored in my cells because I had several bouts of vomiting, some skin dryness and breakouts. Overall my skin has healed and it looks good, not the 'new skin' pink you normally see after a burn, it is actually a little tanned from the depth of the radiation burn. I am also still having trouble with my nose running constantly from the remnants of the chemo, but that is tolerable and kept in check somewhat by Benadryl. Eating requires a sip of liquid with every bite of food and I still can't eat most solid foods yet (bread is like cement in my mouth and so I have omitted that from my diet,) and my taste buds are still not there yet. I can't taste sweet, only salt and bitter. When I eat, most of the flavor comes from memory and when my tasted buds tell my brain what I am eating, I get conflicting messages and sometimes it makes certain foods inedible.

I have now gotten into a routine that includes ensuring to use skin cream to keep my new skin moisturized twice a day and getting ready for bed includes rinsing my mouth with the salt water and baking soda mix, using trays for my teeth filled with Fluoride (protect my teeth because I still do not produce any quantity of saliva), filling the humidifier with water (to aid in overnight dry mouth), getting the heating pad going (I still am so skinny, I am constantly cold), taking pain meds and Benadryl and finally getting into bed.

I will have a PET scan in the next 4-6 weeks to get a cellular look at my head and neck and ensure not other hot spots exist, but it looks like we are onto counting the time of being 'Cancer Free" begins now!


3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Rich - that's great news! "Cancer Free" - no doubt those are two of the sweetest words ever uttered. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Richard. Great news. Now, let's sail forward.

    ReplyDelete