Monday, November 23, 2009

Monday 11/23

Well I had the weekend off from treatment and today started a shortened week of treatment, since I have Thanksgiving off, only four days this week. I am down to 6 more Chemo and 20 radiation sessions!

This weekend, Stacey and I went into San Francisco to meet some friends (JV and Rosita) up from Florida for a business trip and we had dinner at Scoma's on the Wharf in SF and then spent the night at the Hilton just a few blocks away. It was a great time to see JV and Rosita and the food at Scoma's was top notch as always. On Sunday, we got up and met some of our other friends Bob and Lin Korns and John and Leila Weed at the Metreon to view an exhibit by one of the most famous arial photographers, Robert Cameron (who died on Nov. 10th of this year), that featured many of his works from above California (he lived in San Francisco.) Then we went to lunch at a Mediterranean restaurant and on to SF MOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art) to view the Richard Avendon exhibit. For those of you who did not know Avendon, he was a portrait photographer for over 60 years, starting out as a fashion photographer he went on to shoot a diverse group of people from politicians to common working folk and from celebrities and murderers (sometimes I guess that would be a single group.) It was a great weekend, but one that told me I am starting to experience the rigors of my treatment.

I experienced some severe dry mouth, and at one point where I had not sipped any water or tried to speak for about 1/2 hour, my mouth was stuck shut (no wisecracks!) and I had to sip some water to be able to get my cheeks unstuck from my gums. I also ran out of energy early in the evening both days and by the time we got home about 6pm on Sunday, I was ready for bed.

I also am losing my sense of taste (again no wisecracks) and, while I still can taste most food, most of what I am eating has a bland taste to it. I am also not very hungry so I need to be aware of the time and eat by the clock instead of when I am hungry.

The other symptom that really came to light this past weekend was the anceform rash that has fully engulfed my face. It is very bothersome to look at myself in the mirror and see all the bumps and whiteheads that form on my face. It seems that overnight, when I am asleep, the acne subsides and when I get active during the day it gets 'angry' and looks like a 13 year old in a bad puberty situation. The rash also has a burning/itching sensation that requires a lot of discipline not to itch.

Oh well, only a few more weeks of the symptoms and then on to recovery! More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment