Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wednesday-Thursday 11/18-19/2009

I decided to combine the two days into one entry as there was not much action either day, only radiation for both days.

My reaction to the chemo this week compared to last week was different in a very pleasant way. While I did get some of the cold hands and feet, I had none of the nausea or headaches that I suffered last week. What I am starting to feel is the reduction in energy levels. It is amazing how fast this has come on. Overall, I am still doing well, just seems like I run out of energy now and again during the day. The radiologist has told me that next week we should see some more effects (negative) in my mouth and throat due to the radiation, so that is something to expect then.

I am seeing the start of some of the acne rash that is the main side effect that the doctors expected to see. It looks a little like a bad case of hives or chicken pox right now, but it will get worse and last while I am on the Chemo and then will fade after the drug starts leaving my bloodstream.

I thought I would discuss some of the day to day skin and mouth care changes that have occurred due to the treatments.

For skin care, I have two lotions that I need to apply 4-6 times a day to help with the radiation burn, both to treat the minor burn that occurs at the area of treatment as well as help prevent the burns from being worse. While they have a prescription lotion that can be used, the nurse who handles the Radiologist's case load, recommended an over the counter lotion works as well as the prescription and is about $200-300/month less expensive. It is called Medline Remedy with Olivamine Skin Repair Cream and is a great skin cream for anyone who has dry skin, it works very quickly and Stacey is using it on her skin and says it is better than any cream she has used before. The other lotion is pure Aloe Vera gel which also deals with the skin burns and making sure the damage is addressed.

For mouth care, with the production of saliva reduced due to the radiation, I have a simple mouth rinse to keep my mouth clean made from water, salt and baking soda, this is to keep the mouth wet and help the saliva I produce keep the teeth clean. I also have a mouthwash that is a Stanford mix, which helps to keep the bacteria levels in the mouth balanced and prevent Thrush (the white coating that babies get for the same reason-imbalanced mouth bacteria). Then before sleeping, the normal floss/brush routine and followed by a Fluoride rinse and then using the same type of trays you use for whitening your teeth, a Fluoride tray treatment. The Fluoride is used to keep the chance of cavities down. With all the added steps, it is now a 1/2 hour of time from the time I think I am going to bed to actually getting there :)

I had some pictures for today's post, but am having issues uploading, so they will have to wait.


1 comment:

  1. Rich,
    Good to hear the nausea and headackes are not as bad this week. See ya soon.
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete